Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Nothing's Brewing

Wasn't it just last week that I said I would try and do a better job with posting things?  And here it is, a week later, and nothing has changed.  I'm afraid I don't have any pics for you, but in the interest of getting something up here, here's a little of what the last week has been like.

Saturday I had a Legion Riders fundraiser at the Post.  The turnout wasn't enormous, but we still had a lot of laughs and managed to raise a good chunk of change for our chapter.

Sunday was very low key.  There was no football on (the Pro Bowl does not count as football!), and I was sick with that headcold that's going around so I just stayed in and got cozy with my couch.

Monday - worked late...
Tuesday - worked late...
Yesterday - was gonna work late, but one of my coworkers has been hounding me to take her to that local brewery that's one town over.  I've blogged about it before; Jack's Abby Brewery.  A couple other coworkers wanted to go as well, so we'd tentatively talked about going tonight (Thursday).  Well, the coworker who's been bugging me said she couldn't make it tonight, so we shifted our plans and went last night.

Why is any of this worth mentioning?  Because that little brewery I blogged about a little over a year ago...with its 3 brothers who are the owners and were the sole employees at the time...is booming now.  BOOMING!  They've totally redone their tasting room, and now have a bar-like atmosphere in a room that's about three times as big as what they had before.  They've also secured a "pour" license, meaning they can sell beers there, and are now officially open from noon to 8, Wednesday - Saturday.  Last night was their first official night with the new hours, and the place was packed!  And...they've apparently exploded with employees.  I saw over new 20 people there last night milling around either helping customers, or out back in the brewing area.  And as I stood there enjoying such flavorful offerings such as vanilla porter, as well as smoky dark ales, it ocurred to me that I probably should have asked the 3 brothers a year ago if they needed any help around the place.

Because being an analyst for a software company during the day certainly pays the bills...but getting in on the ground floor and being a part of an up and coming brewery...well that would have kicked ass.

Oh well...time to go look at some more spreadsheets...

No comments: