Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, October 24, 2011

Wrangling A Winter Vehicle

It’s that time of year again; daylight is shorter, the mornings and evenings are cooler (sometimes downright chilly!), and the need for something other than two wheels slowly begins to dawn upon me. As much as I’d like to ride the bike year round, my NorthEast location pretty much rules that out. Which means I need something a bit more stable once the white stuff arrives.

I’ve had things covered in that regard for the past few years, having picked up a bit of a deal from a co-worker; a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee for very, very short money. It was in decent shape, and I was good to go. I’d planned on getting one season out of it, but luckily managed to squeeze out three solid winters. And what a bargain! In those three years, all I’d had to put into it were two wipers, a headlight, and a battery. Time was running out on it, though... The ball joints were gone, the sway bar had fallen off, and the transmission was acting up. It probably didn’t have a 4th winter in it. But I’d procrastinated on getting a replacement vehicle. Oh sure, I’d done some on-line research into vehicles, looking at new and used, etc. But still I procrastinated.

And then this past Monday came. I parked the bike and fired up the Jeep to run out for a bit…and made it one mile from home before it died outright. Coasting to the side of the road, I suddenly realized that I needed to get off my arse and get a replacement vehicle! (I’d already made up my mind on what I was going to get, I just hadn’t moved forward on it.)

So, Tuesday morning, I did my final research and prep on the website I’d found earlier (Truecar.com – check it out if you’re looking to buy a new vehicle), called the dealership that’s right next door, and made an appt to come in and talk.

Wednesday morning, I was in the showroom and making my pitch. But the good thing about that website, is they offer you a great rate that the dealerships accept, and there’s really not much haggling (I still did a little, though). Wound up paying quite a bit under the dealership’s invoice price! (I know they get incentives from the factory, but I’m still happy with the price I paid. I signed on the dotted line, shook hands a few times, and then it was a waiting game. See, the vehicle wasn’t on their lot, but they did get it there within a day. Add in another day for prepping, insurance and titling, and I was good to go – bringing the new ride home on Friday afternoon.

So without further nonsense and delay; here’s my new winter ride; a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Nicey Nice!

No comments: