Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Belated Senior Skip Day Post

I was rummaging through some old emails, looking for something work-related, when I stumbled upon an old (real old) email from TEP. It was about the Senior Skip Day that he’d told me about, over a year ago.  Here's the write-up I did on that...

http://twowheeledtales.blogspot.com/2011/11/senior-skip-day.html

After seeing that old email, it dawned on me that I hadn’t checked with TEP to see if they’d done another one this past Fall. Sure enough, they had. In TEP’s words;

It was September 21 , 2012-----a Friday

They were to meet at Spragues in Portville for breakfast

RT 417 East to Hornell then RT 36 north to Arkport Harley

From there to RT 70 to Letchworth State Park for hotdogs

Then over to RT 16 South ( RT 78 or RT 39 ) back to Olean -------probably 150 miles

Was a pretty nice day for riding and I heard they had a good turnout.

TEP took the day off, too, but opted to do his own thing. He’s not opposed to riding with large groups, but he prefers to ride alone or with only a couple of others (I can relate). Lynner didn’t understand the attraction of “riding alone”, so he took her along to show her. After breakfast in Bradford (PA), they checked out the Zippo/Case museum. From there, things turned into an impromptu Dana Run (IE: a nice ride, with a few beer stops interspersed along the way). It was the perfect way to demonstrate the benefits of riding by yourself.

Again, in TEP’s words;

Most two lane roads in our area ----during the week ----during the day ----have no traffic

That means you can go 10 or 20 miles ---maybe more ---with no one ahead of you, no one behind you, and no one coming the other way

You have the road all to yourself, beautiful scenery, the wind in your face, the roar of the pipes, no helmet in PA------that’s riding-----that’s freedom

I couldn’t agree more.

They finally ending back at the Olean VFW. His tally on the day was ~250 miles – not shabby at all. TEP commented that the last Dana Run he’d done was back when Russ got lost and wound up at Lantz Corners – that was 2001! He said it was great to have made the loop in memory of a couple of good friends that have passed.

Need I say I’m jealous? I went back and checked my work calendar to see what I did on that Friday…I was holding my first round of budget meetings. Bleah.  Maybe this year, I should skip the budget meetings and go for a ride.

I think about 500 miles, due west, should be about right.

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: