Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, March 12, 2010

Shouldering the Burden

As mentioned on my last post; I went in for shoulder surgery this past Tuesday morning. I’d had this same shoulder worked on about 6 years ago, but the fix that was done at that time had become broken, and needed fixing again. (Here’s hoping it’ll stay fixed this time around.) What was the problem, you ask? My Labrum had torn off from the bone (and the ligaments were stretched as well). The doc had to go in, detach any remaining sections that were still connected, pull everything upwards (to tighten them) and then reattach. Thankfully, this can all be done arthroscopically.

Surgery was scheduled for 7:15am so was up and on the road bright and early (too early, as it turned out, for I got there before the place even opened). After waiting a bit, I was called in and the admitting nurse went through all the stuff she needed to cover, I signed my name a few times, and off I went to the operating room.

As the anesthesiologist began connecting the sleepy-time fluid to my IV line, I asked her to let me know when it was turned on, as I wanted to see how high I could count before going under. She said ok, go ahead and start. Bam! I was off and running; all the way up to 20 before I knew it! Oh, but then the nurse said she was now turning it on and that I’d begin to feel a warm tingle in my arm as the anesthesia began to flow. Damn! I’d started counting too soon! I gotta start over! But when to start? (The nurse had already false-started me once and therefore couldn’t be trusted.) Besides, where’s this alleged warm and tingly feel…oh wait, there it is. Ok, no sense in counting now. I said “Good Night!” out loud and then it was lights out in Georgia.

Consciousness was slow to return. I have always had a hard time with anesthesia but the folks in charge had done a good job with keeping the levels down for me this time around, which I certainly appreciated. After a few hours, they loaded me into the car and we were homeward-bound. A quick stop at the grocery store where I stocked up on popsicles and soup , and then it was into the recliner with me, for the next two days. (I’d wanted to come in to work right away on Wednesday but the doc forbade it, so I had to wait until today.)

Anyway, the bandages were able to be removed last night and I was able to take a much needed shower.

And that brings us up to speed. I guess the only thing left is the pics…

I loved the compression stockings I had to wear (they help with circulation when you’re under anesthesia). So fashionable!
Here’s the mass of bandage wrappings, prior to removal (I would have to say this was the most painful thing so far; when my body hair was ripped out by removing theses wrappings. I think they used super glue to hold them on…).
Here’s the front – there are two holes under the tape.
And here’s the back – only one hole on this side.
And there you have it. Recovery will be slow, but I’m already doing some light exercises and will star physical therapy in a week or so.

I’m already itching to hold the handlebars again…

No comments: