Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Haunted Hitchhiker

Here’s a quick post showing how I rigged up my passenger for this past weekend’s Halloween Run. You’ve seen the finished product;

First off, I needed to secure it to the seat somehow. Fortunately, there’s a gap right behind me on the seat (it’s for a backrest), and I figured if I stuck a couple of sticks up the back of the costume, I could stick them into the slot.
Unfortunately, just having the two sticks floating freely allowed the thing to flop all over the place. Ok, let’s try securing the bottoms together. First, I whittled a wedge, drilled a hole through everything and secured it with a zip tie.

It was better, but there was still the potential for leaning…

Ok, I need to secure the tops of the sticks, too. A piece of strapping, a couple of screws, and I was in business.

I figured a beer can in this things hands would look pretty cool (I now know that wasn’t a bright idea). Anyway, finding that I’d recycled all my empties, I had to pound a fresh one. (Oh Damn!) I drilled a hole in the side of the can, and also through the bottom. Another zip tie, and I was good to go. (And just in time, as it was getting late, and the run was the following morning.)
(I did wind up running a thin bungie cord around it’s waist, under the green material and out of sight. I ran the ends down to the side rails and this thing was goin’ nowhere!)

Ride Hard, Take Chances…and don’t pick up hitchhikers!

No comments: