Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Onward, Toward Thunder

…but is the thunder already laying in wait for us? Weather predictions are calling for scattered thunderstorms for our ride down – some, even in the morning. Just a prelude, I suppose, to the intense heat and humidity that we’ll be encountering this weekend. No matter, and weather be damned! It’s an important weekend, and we shall ride!

Logistics are falling into place; Billy is meeting us at my house, then we’re heading to Steve & Jan’s house. From there, we’re heading over to Plainville to meet Maynard and the other 7 bikes that are making the trip down with us. That’s right; 7 others, for a total of 10 bikes. Sweet! (Yes, a large group can offer some challenges, but everyone knows their way around a set of handlebars, so we should be all set.)

But have no fear! Lest you think things are under control, I still have to modify the flag setup on the bike. I’ve got new, reinforced flag poles, so there won’t be a repeat of last year’s issue (one broke), but the brackets that minimize the wind drag need to be adjusted. I still need to pack, too, but that will have to wait until tomorrow night, because I’ve got a Legion Riders meeting tonight! Whew, too much going on, but I wouldn’t change anything!

I’ve got a rough itinerary lined up but I’m sure that any semblance of order will be tossed aside, and we’ll make things up as we go. We’ve got a BBQ in Baltimore being thrown for the whole group, going on on Friday afternoon. Ok, it’s really for one of the guys riding down with us, but we’ve been sucked into the maelstrom that is that event. We’re going to keep to the outskirts so that we can make a clean getaway before things get too crazy. We’ve got places to go and people to see on Friday night!

And speaking of people to see, Michigan Paul and his lovely wife Bettina are also riding to Rolling Thunder this year! We’ve been in touch and are going to do our level-best to make sure we can catch up with each other. This year is going to be the 25th anniversary of Rolling Thunder, so the throngs should be quite sizeable, but we should be able to catch up each other at some point.

Ok, I think that’s it for now. Not sure I’ll be able to get any more lengthy posts up before we roll out, but there will be pics sent along the way. Until then, I’m getting antsy to…

RideHard, Take Chances!

No comments: