Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pig Roast & Ride From Hell

This year’s pig roast was another success. Everyone seemed to have a great time, feedback has been excellent, and most importantly; everyone got home safely. That includes the crew from NY. Jeezus, did they ever have a trip from Hell, though. 11+ hours in the rain on Friday, just to get here. Then for Sunday’s departure; rain again. Then, to top all that off, their last leg of the trip (Monday) consisted of not just rain, but temps in the 30’s, and hail. Friggin’ HAIL! It’s almost June, and they’re having to deal with 30’s and hail? What the frig?!?!

I’m going to have a talk with the weather gods. Sure, they came through for me in a big way on Saturday by clearing the rain out and giving me 70 degrees and sunshine for the party, but I’m not sure it was worth it. Putting my buds through a thousand miles of rain, cold, and hail? That's not very nice at all. Must have been sheer misery.

Just shows ta go ya; they’re a bunch of hard core riders. Beat ‘em to shit in the saddle and they just keep on going.

Back to the party; the pig came out excellent as always. Subsequent to it’s completion, the fire pit was stoked a bit high at times, requiring some attention from the hose, but all in all, we managed to get through it without burning down anything major.

Here’s a pic (courtesy of Greg), showing the guilty parties. Looks like a missile launch going on behind them…

The ice luge once again claimed many victims…er…customers and the beer pong finished off whatever brain cells were left standing. Amazingly, this year’s party wound up being the earliest to end, out of all the Cinco parties to date. I put the last guy to bed at 2am, which thankfully allowed me a few hours of sleep before it was time to start cleaning. Had most of the place tidied up in time for the NY crew to stop over for breakfast again. It was good to send them off with full stomachs - I wish I could have done something about the weather, though. Got the dishes done, remaining trash bagged, and lastly; the floors washed by noon-thirty. That left me the rest of the afternoon to rest and relax. (In other words, I sat my ass in the recliner and watched TV.)

Final numbers are a bit rough to tally, as there were many faces there that I didn’t recognize (friends of a friend of a friend, kind of thing). But the names/faces I was able to place totaled 118, so another good turnout. Another friend of mine broke his camera out and snapped 165 pics, apparently. I have yet to see them but I will try and get some posted when they come in.

In summation; here’s to the NY crew. You rode hard and you rode long. And it was great to see you guys! Can’t wait to share some more laughs with you in a month’s time. (Just be sure to leave that rain and hail shit at home!)

No comments: