Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, May 2, 2008

Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle o' RUM!!

One of the hardest working guys in this place surprised me this morning. But before I get to that, a little background; This guy is already working when I get here in the morning. This guy is working when I'm eating lunch. This guy is working when I go home at night (unless I'm here real late). And this guy is always...I mean always, smiling. Every time I see him, I make sure to swing by and say hello and share a few laughs with him. You'd think this guy would have a ton of friends here, right? Well here's the catch; he's the cleaning guy. That shouldn't matter, right? But it sure seems to for some folks.

Anyways. This guy has mentioned before that there's a certain rum he likes to drink and that it's very good and all. This morning, I swing by his 'office' to say hello and he tells me to hold on a minute. He goes to his things and pulls out a bottle of this rum for me! The bottle itself looks too nice for me to ever dare opening, let alone actually drinking it. (I'm sure that won't hold me back for long, though.) I mean, just look at this! (Apologies for the pic quality, had to take it with my phone.)

Yeah, that's a palm-leaf wrapped bottle (wrapped by hand!), complete with handle and everything!

Having never heard of this stuff before, I opted to do a quick look on-line. Holy crap, this stuff is like the holy grail of rums! Check out this write-up I found;

"Ron Zacapa Centenario is a legend amongst rums. According to many sources, it's won so many tasting competitions that it's actually been retired as a contender, and is instead used by the judges to calibrate their palettes as to what a truly fine aged rum can achieve."

Quite nice. I'll be sure to break this open this weekend. Maybe I'll even save some (maybe) for the ice luge at the pig roast...

Yo Ho Ho, me hearties!

No comments: