Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Badlands, Wall Drug & Mt. Rushmore

Zig and I arrived at the Badlands and proceeded onto the Badlands Loop. This route is a mere 39 or so miles long. So why did it take us two and a half hours? Because the scenery is beyond amazing. We hadn't gone 1/4 mile before we pulled off into a viewing area, set the kickstands to the pavement and did a bit of a walkabout. (I'd love to show you the pics we took, but the signal strength is an overwhelming 0% right now - I don't even know if this post will go through when I send it.)

We stopped a few more spots along the way, then rocked and rolled our way out to the other end. We could easily have spent the rest of the day there, but today's itinerary included checking out Wall Drug and Mt. Rushmore, so we mosied along, and we'll hit the Badlands again on our way home.

We took some videos of riding through different twisty areas...but, like the pics, they'll have to wait until a later date...maybe not even until I get back home. Sorry! I know a lot of you really have no interest in my babbling and only want to see the pics. And I'd love to oblige. Unfortunately, the main push of technology hasn't reached this far west yet. Or maybe it's just because we're choosing to stay in the boonies...

So we made it over to Wall Drug. I've heard about this place for years, but I guess I didn't realize that it's nothing but a bunch of mini stores, selling all kinds of touristy stuff. I guess I can now say that I've been there...but I can also say that I don't foresee ever going there again.

Next was Mt. Rushmore. Rather than pay the fee to enter the 'official' entrance/viewing area, we pulled to the side of the road to take our pics (we weren't the only one with that plan) and then checked into the KOA we're staying in tonight. Zig is still unpacking, I'm getting today's update done, then we're going to shower (not together - that's how rumors start), then we're going to hit the on-site bar.

That's right; Bar! Now before you go thinking "What kind of bar can there be at a KOA?", lemme assure you; this place is like the Taj Majal of KOA's. Clothes stores, mini-mart, two pools, breakfast place, (mini) water park, etc. etc. etc. So, when I say there's a bar here, there's a bar, and it looks to be decent.

404 miles on the day. Not a lot, but most of them were hard-won. 85+ on the highway again.

Tomorrow is Crazy Horse, Custer National Park, riding in the Black Hills, etc. But not necessarily in that order.

Ok, we just cracked our first beer. Which means shower and bar. So until next time, kids...

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: