Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Costume Prep, Part II

I still owe you guys the rest of the pics from my costume, as well as the pics from when I got together with my niece and nephew. So here ya go…

I used part of a second box to make the inner bench, as well as what would be the foot rest for my feet. I used a pair of older boots, some long-johns for my legs, and then just a pair of jeans tucked around the boots. I rolled up some towels inside the long-johns to make them look like legs, and voila! Well…not quite. The legs had nothing to keep them from flopping all over the place, so I cut pieces of strapping and stuck them down into the boots (behind the long-johns) and then stuck them into the (back of the) knees of the legs. This kept everything in place and looking good.

I applied wood-grained contact paper to the outside walls to give them a nice wooden look, and then took a long straightedge and a black marker and drew lines to make it look like there were individual boards. Then came the cutouts for the front door, as well as the much smaller back door which I’d use to enter/exit the thing. Oh yeah – can’t forget the moon sliver window for the front door!


Here’s a rough look of what it’d look like with me in it (I put up pics of m’cycles and such on the insides, so that it wouldn’t look so bare).
Here’s the finished product – complete with roof vent attached, toilet paper, and one of those red pine tree air fresheners. (Oh, the toilet paper? Why does it look like there’s writing on it? Because there is. In light of how well the stock market has been doing, I printed up a bunch of mini charts which were dropping in value, and labeled them “401k”).


With the H’ween party cancelled, I brought my costume over to Bill’s house so the kids and I could show off our costumes to each other. Here’s a few pics of that…

‘Course, then we had to mix things up a bit…

Then Zak wanted to try out the Outhouse for himself…



That wrapped up the costume for 2008.

The following day (Halloween), I did the usual riding to and from work with my skull mask on. As before; most folks “get” it and there were smiles, waves, and horns beeped.

And of course, there are those that just look at you with that oh-so-familiar “What’s wrong with you???” look.

I think I wear it mostly for those people.

Ride Hard, Take Chances.

1 comment:

Boston said...

Holy "Crap" is that costume awesome! Do not destroy it, I have a great idea. You should bring it next year to the canoe trip and go for a walk-about stopping along the road in front of all the different sites... then wait for some inocent person to swing open the door and catch you on the hopper!