Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, September 28, 2009

Springing Back Into Action

I promised you a write-up on the kickstand return-spring replacement process and here it is – better late then never I suppose.

Here’s the new spring (top), laid out next to the old one. Hard to believe that little bit of stretch on the right hook of the old spring would be enough to render this thing useless, but such was the case.
First thing to do was get the bike set up to work on. Although...I suppose the first thing to do was get the new spring. And as you can see from the above pic, I had succeeded in that portion of the task. So this would bring us to the second step; getting the bike into a position to work on.

A folded moving blanket and a gentle laying-over of the bike and I was good to go. (This is the lean-angle that I strive to achieve on every turn, LOL)
Once I could look at the underside, it was plainly visible where a rock had snagged the spring, ending its usefulness to the bike.

Man, it sure is dirty under here!
When it came time to install the spring, I could have hooked one end into the frame and then worked myself up to a heart attack trying to pull and stretch the new spring out enough to catch the other hook onto the kickstand. Or…

I could take the easy way out and remove the kickstand from the bike. A simple standard ½” wrench would take care of this for me.
Ta da!
With the spring hooked on both ends, it was just a matter of twisting the main shaft of the stand back up and into its sleeve.
Ta da, again! I’m on a roll!
Bolt the locking tab into place and voila – ready to rock and roll again.
Set the bike back up so that no one can see all the dirt underneath, and I'm done! Nice and simple, just the way I like it.
Now then, where to roll off to...

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: