Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, January 6, 2012

And It Continues II

The dealership has managed to find things to keep themselves busy while they're waiting for the backordered bearings to show up. What kind of things, you ask? Well, according to them, my rear axle seals and bearings are seized to the rim, meaning they have to be replaced. I asked for an explanation on how this is possible on a bike with only ~21k miles on it, and they said it's not uncommon, especially on bikes that are ridden hard. (Ahh, playing to my weakness, I see.)

I gave them the go-ahead to replace them since the tire is off already, and then did some internet searching. Turns out it's not unheard of for this to happen, even on bikes with much fewer miles. While this put me a little more at ease in terms of my own bike, it bothered me on a grander scale. If the factory knows this is a potential issue, then why aren't they using an anti-seize product, rather than grease? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with ensuring future revenue generation, could it? (Cue mock shocked-face.)

Anyway, the best winter ever (for riding) rolls on while my bike sits useless in a garage far, far away. And the forecast for this weekend? 50 degrees and sunshine. (I'm figuring the backordered bearings' arrival will coincide with the first major snowstorm.)

I can't see how I might have pissed off Karma...and me and the Riding Gods are like this (holds two fingers together), so I don't get it. Is it possible there's a minor demi-god of parts inventory that is mad at me for some perceived transgression? Should I make some kind of sacrifice to appease their displeasure? What does one sacrifice to a spoiled "god wanna-be" with a grudge? I'm open to suggestions...

No comments: