Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, December 10, 2012

All Horned Up

Another crappy, cold, wet day.  Might as well do a bit of maintenance on the bike.  Let’s replace that dead horn I mentioned last week, shall we?

I picked up this after-market horn from Amazon, for short money.  (Even with shipping, it came in well under the cost of an OEM horn.)

A few quick turns on the mounting nut and the housing is off and we're ready to dig in.

Remove the leads from the old horn...

They say water is the biggest killer of horns, and sure enough; when I rotated the old one, water came out.  Guess that's part of the price of riding in the rain.

This replacement horn doesn't have two hard-mounted posts for the electrical leads, just one.  The other lead gets connected to a washer which gets mounted onto the center post, acting as the ground.

Before I put the whole thing together, I did a quick check first, holding things in place with my hand, and making sure the horn was going to work.  Yep!  Good and loud, too!

Ok, time to get things put together.  It was a bit of a tight fit, and this after-market horn is not a perfect drop-in replacement, but considering the cost savings, it'll do the job just fine.

Ta-da!  A very easy fix, didn't take any time at all.  Now I'm loud and obnoxious again!

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: