Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Roadside Assistance...of a sort...

Some of you may have heard the news that AAA is now offering coverage for motorcycles.  (Actually, perhaps some of you didn't realize that your AAA membership didn't cover motorcycles before now.)  Anyway, yes; AAA now offers roadside assistance for motorcycles, and for the low annual coast of only $30 per year!

Huzzah!

But hold on there, my friend.  Let's look into the details a bit, shall we?  First off, your simple, every-day-man membership (otherwise known as Primary Basic) isn't good enough to garner motorcycle coverage.  Nope, you gotta upgrade!  That's right boys and girls, you have to give them more money first!

How much with the upgrade cost you?  Well, that depends on whether you go with the Plus, or the Premier memberships.  The Plus will run you an additional $82 dollars a year, and the Premier will run you an additional $112 per year.

Ok...sooo...maybe that's still worth considering?  Well hold on to your seats, bunky, because we're not done.

Another requirement that must be met is you have to have all members of your household enrolled in the same level of coverage (Plus or Premier).  Now for someone like me, this part is inconsequential because I am my household.  But for someone who has two or three folks living in their house, the costs add up quite quickly.

Ok, so moving beyond the cost aspect, let's see what we get for all of our hard earned money...
 - battery jumpstarts and tire inflation
 - fuel delivery (I know someone in NY that could benefit from this)
 - towing, up to 100 miles (200, for Premier membership)

Huh.  Well, it sounds like they've hit the main things; they'll either jump you, feed you, or tow your ass home.  Let's look at the detail in the Terms and Conditions to see if there are any surprises...

#1) Ha, right off the bat, this is listed as a Limited Offer.  Why limited?  Because they're not offering it to anyone that lives in NY.  (I guess everyone hates NY.)  This will be bad news for Mark.  :-)

#2) Well, coverage only extends to the motorcycle itself, not any recreational vehicles or trailers.  (Well...if I had a trailer, with me, I'm thinking I wouldn't need assistance...)
Hmmm...the battery will only be jumpstarted if the its easily accessible and it's safe to deliver the services to the bike.  (I'm thinking if it's not safe, then the bike is off-road, and now we're back to a recreational vehicle...which isn't covered...)

#3) This part is just white noise; rambling about enrollment, renewal and cancellation.  They can, of course, cancel your coverage at any time, at their discretion.  But you can cancel it, too, so I guess that's kind of even.

#4) Service terms, dues, and other fees, are (of course) subject to change without notice.  (I don't think this is even - I'm pretty sure if I tried to change the terms, or the amount I have to pay, they wouldn't accept my changes.)

#5) First off, let me say that I'm shocked that the Terms and Conditions only have 5 items listed, and not the usual 15 pages of miniscule print that you need a microscope to read.  (#5 is just something for New Jersey residents who currently have RV roadside assistance.)

Well there you go.  AAA's new motorcycle roadside assistance program.  Take it for what it's worth to you.

Me?  I'm going to stick with the "call a brother" roadside assistance program.  Because I'm pretty sure AAA won't show up with a 6-pack and a pair of hands that're willing to get dirty with me as we dive in to things and get my bike rolling again.

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: