Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Ghosto de Roasto

It's that time of year again.  Oh wait...no, it's not!

For the first time in 15 years, I haven't been going out of my mind trying to get all the logistics lined up for a large influx of revelers.  For the first time in 15 years, I haven't been scrambling to get food, chairs, booze, blankets, tables, tents, etc. all lined up and ready.  This will be the first time in 15 years that I haven't held the Cindo de Roasto party!

Last year was billed as Cinco Finito, and that's exactly what it was.  It was the end of a great run, but that run needed to end.  And at that time, folks kept asking me if, come this year, I would miss it.  I gave my best answer at the time; I don't know.  I knew I'd miss seeing everyone, but fully expected I wouldn't miss the headaches.

Fast forward to this year, and I was pretty spot-on with my guess.  It will suck not seeing so many wonderful faces, but man - oh - man, am I so glad to not be running around like crazy.

So, what to do with myself on this weekend?  Well...funny story...

At last year's party, folks were saying they weren't willing to let the Cinco thing die.  What would I do if folks just decided to show up, anyway?

Well, back in January, I received a phone call from Lynner.  She explained that a few folks from out that way were wondering if they could still ride out to my house on this weekend.  They understood that Cindo de Roasto was over, but they didn't want to lose a destination/ride, so could they come out and just hang?  I thought about it for all of about 2 seconds and said; Absolutely, come on out!

So that's what's happening.  It's a small turnout, only 3 bikes and 6 people.  Oh, but that's the NY contingent.  There are folks from these parts that don't want to miss out on seeing the NY crew so there will be some celebratory activities at the homestead this weekend, but it'll just be a shadow of years past.  (Hence the new moniker; Ghosto de Roasto.)

The plan at the moment is; I'm taking a half-day tomorrow to ride out and meet the crew, then bring them in via back roads to avoid Rte 1 traffic.  (The Metallica concert going on tomorrow night will cause major traffic snarls on that stretch of road and we don't want our esteemed guests to get stuck in that.)

Once we get to my house, there'll be some elbow-bending then it's off to dinner at Eagle Brook Saloon.  (We usually hit Chickie Flynn's, but since that's located right next to where the concert is...)

After that, it'll be back to the house where we'll be joined by others who weren't able to meet us for dinner, for cards and shenanigans long into the evening, I'm sure.

Saturday will probably find some of us off to get breakfast, then kick around the house for a bit...or maybe go for a bit of a ride...then we're gonna check out BOG Iron brewery for a while, then it'll be a stop-by at the Post, then back to the house for shenanigans, part II.

Sunday will see the NY crew make a break for home while the rest of us try to collect our heads and get ready for the week ahead.

This will be a most-adequate successor to the parties from years past.
It's almost here, and I can't wait...

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: