Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, November 9, 2007

Ticket to ride...ing gear

So my ticket for next year’s Rendezvous showed up last night – finally. I wasn’t sure what the story was, I ordered it a month ago. I guess they needed to get them printed or something. But at any rate; it’s here and I’m going there! Only something like 217 days to go! Bring it!

Something else I wanted to touch on; the riding gear I picked up this year, back in March or so. I didn’t really get a chance to test it back then because the neck injury thing kept me off the bike for a couple of months and by the time I was back to riding full time, the weather had warmed up a bit. But now that temps are back down into the 20’s and 30’s, I gotta give props to the gear.

I’d realized some time ago that leather just wasn’t the answer. Sure, as riders, we carry a certain expected association with leather and many folks just equate one with the other. But leather sucks! Sure it offers protection against the blacktop, should (when) we go down, but aside from that; it’s bulky and stiff, it offers no insulation (it only blocks the wind – if you want insulation, you need to either go with a liner or start packing on the layers), and, in my own personal experience, the zippers just cannot be trusted. They break constantly, and I’ve bought high-quality stuff so it’s not like I picked something up from the guy on the corner.

Anyway, so I had been looking into the textile clothing for a while but just couldn’t find a deal that I could live with. This stuff is expensive! But this past springtime, a few of us went in to the Expo center in Boston to check out a bike show. There was a Fieldsheer vendor there that was selling jackets and pants and really decent prices. So I dropped $150 for the jacket and $125 for the pants. And I tell ya; they were well worth the cash.

Back when I wore chaps (in the wintertime), I used to have to start with a pair of sweatpants, then the jeans and then the chaps. Sure, that was comfortable…not. I walked so stiffly that I looked like I had a load in my drawers. And the chill would still eventually make it’s way in to the thighs, knees and whatever else was taking the wind in a direct hit. The jacket? I used to have to stack a bandana, then a neck wrap, and then the jacket collar, all in the hopes that I hadn’t left any cracks for the wind to get in. But since the leather is so stiff, invariably; the chill would be half way down my chest before I was 10 miles out. To try and keep the rest of my upper body warm, I’d have to layer shirts and sweatshirts underneath, to the point where I looked like a leather-clad version of that kid from Christmas Story, that couldn’t move inside his snowsuit. Good times!

The textile stuff is flexible, not bulky, and I don’t need anything underneath it (aside from the liner it comes with). As I’ve rolled out of my driveway so far this week, the temps have been 31, 32, 34, 27, and 31. People keep asking me if I’m freezing. Nope. Well, the face is a bit chilled - I still have layers on that, but if I wind up going with a windshield, that’ll resolve that issue. But my chest, back, arms, legs – everything that’s covered by the textile stuff, is fine and dandy, roasty toasty.

The coldest I’ve ever ridden in was 13 degrees. Now that I’m packing some decent riding gear, I’m aiming to break that record. (Just keep that white stuff away – the riding gear ain’t gonna do much to help with that…)

Ride Hard, Take Chances

1 comment:

Boston said...

Amen Brothah! Last fall with some encouragement from my wife I picked up some textile gear, just to be clear I was totally against it, a little over a year later I can't even remember where my leathers are... basement... garage... spare room closet... who knows, who cares, not me. It’s everything Dave says… plus more! It’s waterproof! No more showing up for work with a wet crotch or home soaked to the bone, but an even bigger plus than that, is not having to pull over to the shoulder of the road to wrestle yourself into that giant condom. This gear is just great, no more having to check the weather before I head out each morning to work… I just suit up and hit the road because I know I will be warm and dry the whole way.

Dave, about your rosy red cheeks, an alternative option other than a windshield is a helmet with a full shield in front. (you saw mine this summer) I put on a baclava with and extended polar fleece lower section and the helmet. Absolutely no wind on your face… or rain…err…or snow! So far I have been down to 26 degrees with this set-up and not the slightest chill, not one teardrop… just warmth. Friday night I had the pleasure of riding home in 38 degrees and freezing rain, 25 miles later I pulled in the garage smiling.

Great article and the description of the way we used to dress… I was LMAO the whole time reading it thinking of our ride out to Worcester in the snow showers. Between the two of us that day we could of dressed a family of 6.