Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, July 6, 2009

There's always room for JELLO!

I've been away for over a week; I was out at the Rendezvous and then spent about 5 days up at the house in NH. The weather pretty much sucked ass the whole time; heavy, heavy rain just about every day. This past (holiday) weekend, the sun finally broke out which was great news for the folks hosting 4th of July parties.

Anyway, I have a ton of things to get caught up on, on here. I have more pics and notes from Zig's most excellent adventure, as well as some posts about the aforementioned Rendezvous and NH mini-adventures. But in the meantime, and since I'm short on time today, here's a quick blurb on the jello shots I made for this year's Rendezvous.

Let's see...what's the main ingredient I'm going to need? Oh, right; JELLO!





I think this pic might have even looked more impressive if I'd lined up the alcohols I used, too. Let's see if I can remember them, shall we? There was the obligatory vodka, as well as buttershot schnapps (a huge hit), 2 different coconut rums, black sambuca, peppermint schnapps, goldschlager... I think that may be it. I also picked up some cool suggestions on-line for adding a bit of 'fun' to the shots, too. For some, I waited until the jello was just about set, and then I pressed a gummy bear into the top of them. For others, I put a maraschino cherry into each cup before adding the liquid jello...

they were different, at least.

It takes several days to make 750 jello shots. What's that? No, that's not a typo, I really did make 750. (Well, I set out to make 750, but wound up with closer to 900. "Oops", ha ha ha). However, seeing as how I'd brought out 1,000 jello shots two years ago, and wound up with a ton extra (that I had to eat myself..."Ooops" again, ha ha ha), I figured I should maybe drop the number down a bit. And 750 seemed like a nice round number.

Every shot's lid was marked as to what it's alcohol was, and each batch was stored into gallon-sized freezer bags as the days went by. Here's what ~900 jello shots look like, sitting in front of a cooler, about to be packed for the trip;

And here's what it looks like when you've reached the 300-shot milestone...

Ta da! 750 jello shots, exactly! (The 'extra' (wink wink) shots were saved for a later day.)

You really gotta smash the ice bags a lot to crush the cubes into small enough pieces to fill in amongst the shot cups. It's thirsty work! Now if only I'd had some extra jello shots to help cool me off...

Now the only down side; 750 jello shots wound up being too many, once again! I know, I know; what's happening to us? Are we getting old? Or is it just that everyone else is catching on and is also bringing jello shots? Thankfully, I'm happy to say the correct answer is "B"; everyone else brought jello shots, too. Which is great and all, even if id did mean we had to bring about 100 shots back home. Hey look, more "extra's"!! (I like to look at things with a glass-is-half-full kind of angle.)

And there you have it; Jello Shots for the 'Vous.

Now...what to do with all the extras...hmmm....

No comments: