Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Passing the Time

The salt and ice have returned with a vengeance, basically rendering riding impossible for the moment. So what does one do when one cannot ride? Why, one finds projects around the house to occupy one’s time with. And what better project to occupy one’s time with, than the ongoing basement project?

That’s right, it’s the return of the basement project (saga)! I’m happy to report that once again, things are moving along rather well, due in no small part to having some experienced folks working down there. Nothing like having motivated, knowledgeable people on hand to get things moving again. Lord knows where this project would be if it was left up to me to complete.

Here are a few quick snapshots of the ongoing progress…

The bathroom is coming along nicely, here are a couple of shots of what will be the shower (the wire hanging down from the ceiling is just an extension cord/bulb for the light being used, as there isn’t power in here yet).
Here’s the floor – it’s a kind of beach stone style. Not bumpy, but not entirely smooth, either. It’ll feel good on the feet after a long day on the road.
Here’s by the back door, and what will be a coat closet next to it. I decided it would be a good idea to slap some tiles down in this area to help ward off the mud and dirt being tracked in. (The plan for the rest of the floor will probably wind up being carpet – all the more reason to have a bit of a buffer zone, where shoes and boots can come off.)
Here’s the mini-platform over in the far corner where the pellet stove will wind up.
And look! A pellet stove, ready and waiting to be installed!
And here…Ahhhhh, here is the main event. The beginnings of a BAR!! Oh happy day – a bar in my basement! Will the marvels never cease!?!?
Some of you may recognize that slab of wood that comprises the top of the bar – that’s my old kitchen countertop. I made that out of red oak and it served me well for many years. When I upgraded my countertop to tile, I knew I couldn’t get rid of this beautiful piece of hardwood, and that one day it would find itself atop a bar. I’m happy to say that that day is at hand!

There are more pics to be taken, as more progress has happened this week. The tiling is just about done, the wainscoting is up, and most of the heavy equipment has been removed. The bar is very close - there's just the matter of my BOTTLE CAP BAR TOP!! to create, as well as cleanup and painting. The pellet stove needs to be installed, too, but that will require some finessing in its own right. I’ll get more pics taken this weekend and get ‘em posted up here hopefully next week.


Who knows, I might have to fall off the wagon and have a beer to celebrate!!! :-D

No comments: