Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Slingshot

I was ambling down Rte 9 yesterday when I spotted something in the slow lane, up ahead of me.  I didn't recognize it and it sure as hell didn't look like anything else I'd seen out on the roadways.  What the heck is that thing???

Increasing my speed to catch up to it, I pulled alongside and gazed over.  It was low-slung and looked kind of like an elongated dune buggy, except it only had three wheels; two in the front and one in the back.  And it was ugly!  "Buy a hat like that, I bet you get a free bowl of soup" kind of ugly!

Sitting inside this thing was the operator, decked out in full riding gear and full-faced helmet.  I say "sitting inside" because that's what it was; the guy was sitting inside this thing, looking like he was driving a convertible.

Looking at the back of it, I saw the tag name "Slingshot", so when I got back to the computer, I looked it up.  It's made by Polaris and I guess it's their answer to the Can Am line of vehicles.  And while I've always thought it was a stretch to consider a Can Am a motorcycle, it goes beyond reasoning to call this Slingshot one.  But sure enough; it's classed as a motorcycle.  How can that be?  I mean, it's even got a write-up in Car and Driver.  Shouldn't that tell you something?  Gimme a break.

**Update!  Apparently Texas and Connecticut are the only states which have not lost their senses.  They have both refused to allow Polaris to register their vehicle as a motorcycle in their states.

Texas has refused on the grounds that motorcycle is defined as something with "a saddle" as opposed to a car-style seat, which the Slingshot has. As such, the vehicle is no longer street legal in the Lone Star State.

Connecticut has refused because the definition of a motorcycle by the Connecticut DMV, excludes vehicles with an enclosed driver's seat and an engine that's covered. The Slingshot runs afoul of both.  To quote; "It is the consensus of the DMV that this vehicle closely resembles an automobile in appearance, and is equipped (brake, clutch, accelerator, steering wheel, four-cylinder engine, seat belt, gear shifter, etc.) and handles like an automobile rather than a motorcycle."

 Thank goodness there are still some sane people in power out there.

**Update Two!!  After a bit more research, I found that Polaris has issued a "Stop Sales, Stop Riding" order.  Wow!  The machines (not motorcycles) apparently have potentially defective ball bearings in the steering rack (say wha?), not to mention the roll bars may have defective components, negating their ability to safely protect the operator/passenger in the event of a rollover.  (Roll bars?  Definitely not a motorcycle!!)

It sounds like Polaris really screwed the pooch with this thing.

No comments: