Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, June 12, 2015

Breaking Wind

I'm still on the hunt for a better windshield - one that will offer both wind protection as well as noise protection.  The Klock Works one I have now does a great job at blocking the wind, but it does so at the expense of my hearing.  All the wind gets moved aside and passes along the sides of my head and over my shoulders.  This causes an extreme white noise effect which led me to crank the volume on my speakers up so that I could hear the music.  Too late did I realize the damage I was doing to my hearing because of the constant blaring music.  (It never sounded blaring - that's the point.  The wind's white noise effect masked how loud the music was.)

I'm still researching windshields for the bike.  Found a couple that look kind of interesting.

Freedom Shields has something that looks pretty good. 
http://freedomshields.net/Windshields/_Street_Glide_Windshield.html
It comes almost straight up from the fairing which should block most of the wind.  The price isn't too bad either, at only $100.  Something pretty cool; they let you test it out.  It comes with a protective plastic covering on both sides.  Mount it and test it out.  If you don't like it, you can return it for a different size, or for company credit.

Clearview Shields has something very nice which bears a resemblance to the upward slash that the Klock Works, and also extends back further toward the rider.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/harley-davidson/harley-2014-electra-glide-street-glide-tri-glide-limited-windshield/
I'm assuming this can only help create a bigger/better pocket of silence and wind protection.  Even better; they give you the option of adding 5" to the width of the screen.  This will help block much of the wind that would otherwise be trying to blast it's way around the edges.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the Clearview one.  The combination of the closer-to-the-rider aspect, plus the extra width, seem like two solid things which will help my situation.

I'll need to run out to the bike and do a height measurement to determine what size to get, but I believe I'll be logging an order before noontime.  Maybe I'll be able to receive it before I leave for the 'Vous, which would certainly be a solid test of it.  I'll post a review for it once it's been on for a while.

Ride Hard, Break Wind

No comments: