Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

DC and TotD; The Beginning...

So much to get caught up on and so little time!  I’ll start out with some narrative, but once we get into the meat of things, I’ll add comments and backstory where needed.  That means overall, for the most part, this will be mostly pics – which I’m sure most of you are quite happy about.  Less of my blathering to put up with.  So let’s go!

(Oh yeah – I’ll have to do this in pieces since I’ve got so many pics to get up here.)
First up; I needed the 10k service done on my bike.  I’d thought I’d get the service done in NC but soon realized that if I waited that long, I’d be way, way overdue.  A quick call to Boston Harley to ensure I could be squeezed in, and yes!  As long as I was there first-thing, they said they’d be able to fit me in.

A quick ride to work to get some stuff done and sent out, then it was off to Boston…

There’s nobody here!  (They didn’t open for another two hours.)
They did indeed get my bike in and serviced but not until lunchtime.  I shot back to work and caught up on the workload, then headed home to finish packing.

FRIDAY!!  Wa-Hoo!  Time to head to DC!  We all met up at the Legion, exchanged handshakes and hellos, and then fired up the bikes!  I’d agreed to take the lead, and I promptly led us out onto 95 north.  You f*%#ing idiot!!  Arrgghhh!!!  A short ride up one exit to turn us around and we were then headed in the correct direction.

That was not to be the last of my direction foibles, but in my defense; we were taking a different route than the one I’d mapped out.  It was a valuable lesson learned, though; if we’re going to deviate from the route I’m familiar with, then I should sit my ego down and let someone else lead that knows the way.
Moving on; we made great time heading along the highways, and were very pleasantly surprised to find a lack of traffic jams in two different spots where we’ve encountered massive backups every other year.  Sweet!

As we neared DC proper, Jan and Steve peeled off and the rest of us made it to K’s house without issue.  That’s right; no more misdirection or wrong turns – hey, it only took me 6 years to get it right…
We’ve Arrived!

James was in the driveway washing his bike and K was actually not there – but she arrived very shortly after we did and as it turns out; she had a marvelous reason for not being home.  She’d run out to the store to get us beer!  Yay Beer!

We hit the town (towns?) that night for dinner, drinks, and merriment.  It was a great way to cap what had been a very good riding day.

Oh yeah; one last pic for today; K and the Boston Boys have a bit of a rivalry going in terms of sport team memorabilia.  This inflated mylar balloon was my contribution to this year’s shenanigans.  I didn’t expect her to find it for quite some time but unfortunately, she found it soon after the guys had left for home.

Ok, that wraps up the first leg.  Next up; Saturday’s events, including the Honor Flight, Policeman’s Memorial, Arlington and the annual Saturday night at Murphy’s.
Stay tuned, things are just getting warmed up...

No comments: