Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Let There Be Light!! (Or...maybe not...)

At this year’s ‘Vous, King showed me a new headlight bulb he’d installed on his Ultra.  Man, talk about lumens!  This things was BRIGHT!

Lately, I’ve been feeling that my halogen bulb has been getting weaker, especially the low beam.  At night (and at the speeds I usually ride at), I find myself overriding it’s beam quite often which is not a good idea at all.  (I use the highbeam as often as possible, but if there’s oncoming traffic, I’ll run the low beam out of courtesy – maybe that’s not a good idea, either.)

Anyway – the bulb King had was farkin’ powerful!  And white!  Not the lazy yellow stuff that sealed bulbs (and of late; my halogen bulb) give off.  This thing gave off a clear, crisp, bright-white beam that was easily seeable even in the bright sunshine of mid-day in the middle of a field at the Rendezvous.

He looked in to the part number for me and off I went.  I found the bulb and the manufacturer’s home page and then went into research mode on the interwebs; would this bulb fit my 2014 Street Glide?  It comes with three different base adapters so the website claimed it would fit 90% of all bikes out there.  Well that’s great and all, but I know my luck and if there’s a chance something won’t work for me, there’s a high probability I’ll fall into that small percentage of non-fitment.

Back to the research.  I found all sorts of info about how great the bulb was, but nothing about whether it would specifically fit my bike.  Over and over, I found testimony about how the various base adapters made this thing work for such a broad spectrum of bikes, and there wasn’t one person yet who’d run into non-fitment issues.

I finally gave up (due more to exuberance about buying a new super bright headlight than anything else) and went ahead and ordered it.  I followed the tracking, and sure enough; it was waiting for me when I got home last night.  SWEET!!

The heat be damned (it was Hazy, Hot & Humid out), I set right to opening the box up and then removing my fairing.  And that’s when I found that my bike indeed fell within the 10% category.  Dammit!  This is also where I found that in addition to doing research on-line, I should have also looked at my bike.  I had forgotten that I have two separate bulbs!  Even worse, the harness connection is the wrong fit for the bulb.  Fcuk!  I now own a $70 bulb which is useless to me.  Awesome.

So I came in this morning to look up the website and see if they have any kind of return policy (fat chance with electronics).  I didn’t see anything about refunds or returns, but I did find they sell a harness adapter…which looks like it would fix the problem for me.  It would replace the existing HD harness, which runs power to both bulbs, with a harness that would run just to the new bulb, presumably leaving the other bulb unused.

I emailed them this morning to ask specifically that; will the harness allow me to run the bulb I just bought, presumably leaving the other bulb sitting in the headlamp housing, unused?  I’d like to have some kind of confirmation from them before I hand them any more money.  (Maybe if I’d done this the first time, I’d have had all the info I needed at the start.)

So we’re in a holding pattern.  I hope the replacement harness works, because I really want to run that bulb.
 
Stay tuned…

No comments: