Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

20,353

Here’s what your rear tire looks like after 20,353 miles (the one on the left, just in case you were wondering). And beside it; the new tire to be mounted. When I picked it up and looked it over, the grooves were so nice and deep it felt like I was looking into the Grand Canyon. Ok, so that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

What are the pros and cons of riding a tire this bald? Well, I imagine a tire of this caliber would give you little-to-no trouble if you were looking to do a burnout… course, I’m not sure that doing a burnout on this tire is such a great idea. Not unless you’re sitting in front of a bike shop that has an open slot to roll your bike into so you can change your tire right away. Because this thing isn’t going to put up much of a fight before it gives up the ghost, so to speak.

Another pro/con is that it adds to the level of intensity when riding in the rain. Oooh, will this be the corner that I wipe out in? Let’s find out! Yep; nothing wakes you up in the morning quite like a little slip-slidin’ going on under your ass…during a nice lean…on the highway.

Ahh yes, so many things to ponder. Do I change the tire or do I see just how many miles I can squeeze out of this thing? Hmmm…

Ok, so I chose to display a rare example of intelligence and go ahead and get the tire changed. (Surprising, huh?) But no worries! I’m still as retarded as ever; during the tire replacement process, it was observed that both my front and rear brakes are entirely gone and that I should have them changed while the tire was being done. “Nah, they’re fine, just put everything back together” were my instructions. See? And you thought I might be getting smarter...

Actually, it lit a fire under my ass. I'd picked up the repair manual for this bike over a year ago and it's just been gathering dust ever since. Time to "brake" it out and start doing for myself once again. I did for myself on the Shovelhead and on the Fatboy, why not on this latest ride? So I ordered the new pads. The front ones will be easy to replace; dual, readily-accessible calipers. Now the rears? That tire has to come off again for those to be changed, and therein lies the challenge. I've always been squirrely about taking the rear tire off. Well, not; "taking it off"...that part is easy. But putting it back on the right way so that the bike tracks correctly...that's something I've been nervous to try before. But what the hell, gotta learn sometime, right?

Besides...it would make for a great tech tip...

Hmmm...

No comments: