Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, November 24, 2014

Keenan's Crossing

I was out riding this past weekend and was headed back toward the homestead after having ridden to the point of chilled fingers and toes.  I was on a wooded road which I'm fairly familiar with, and there's a certain spot along the way that I enjoy riding by.  It's right where a set of (active) train tracks cross the road, and there's an American Flag that is always on display there.  I didn't know who first erected the posts which the flag hangs from, but I've always been impressed with the whole setup.

Ahh, but today when I rode by, things were amiss..

We'd been having quite a bit of wind lately and that had obviously had an impact upon the draped flag.

Well, we can't have that, so I did a quick U-turn, parked, and set things right...

While I was there, I figured I would take a pic of the marker that lies there...

Just as I was taking the pic, a truck passed by behind me, and the driver beeped.  I didn't bother to look because I don't know anyone that lives in the area, and didn't expect anyone that I knew would be driving by at that moment.

As I was strolling back across the street toward my parked bike, I saw up the road a short way that the truck had apparently pulled into a driveway and the driver was walking hurriedly up the road in my direction.

Ok, I thought; what's this all about.  But then the guy called out "Would you like some history?"  Sure, I replied, and up he came with his hand outstretched to shake mine.

It turns out the guy had grown up at the house whose driveway he'd pulled in to, and the guy who this crossing was named after (Arthur Keenan) had grown up across the street from him, just a shot ways down the street from where we were standing.

Not only had Arthur been a WWII Army veteran, he'd also been a member of the first special service force, the Devil's Brigade, and had been a recipient of a Bronze Star.  After he'd retired from the Army, he'd been a volunteer fireman, an EMT, a custodian of Veteran's graves, and had belonged to the Norfolk American Legion.

Arthur had apparently been the one who initially erected the framework for the flag, and he always tended the area and made sure the flag being displayed was in excellent condition, replacing it when necessary.

When he passed, the town took over the care and maintenance of the area, and officially named it Keenan's Crossing, and installed the memorial marker and fencing around it.  A very nice tribute to someone who certainly earned it.

My new friend's name was John, and I thanked him for his time and information.  We shook hands again and went our separate ways.

I love when little episodes like this happen.

Ride Hard, Take Chances

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Dave. I came across this post out of my own curiosity about "Keenan's Crossing." I've ridden my bike (non-motorized variety) by it once a year for the past eight years (during the Pan-Mass Challenge). Each time, I've made a mental note to research it... On the eighth sighting, I finally remembered. My Mom's maiden name was Keenan, and her Keenan forebears lived in Boston. I didn't think Arthur Raymond was related to her family, but I wanted to research to be sure. Nope, they're not related, not closely anyway. Nevertheless, Arthur's life story, as detailed by you via John and confirmed by Arthur's obituary, is interesting and worth sharing. I plan to do so in my thank-you letter to my Pan-Mass sponsors (part of my two-wheeled journey). I would like to use your photo of Keenan's Crossing with the marker, if you permit me to. I'll credit you, of course. I would also like to thank you for sharing Arthur Raymond Keenan's story--and for tidying the flag on that windy day.
Kind regards,
Gig Moineau