Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Friday, November 7, 2014

Sights, Sounds and Smells

Another alliterative title today, Dave.  What's up?  Well, let's find out...

The morning commutes have been getting chillier and chillier, as expected as the Fall slides by and Winter has begun to appear on the horizon.  Daylight savings has passed, bringing the accompanying morning blackness as well.  They say things happen in threes, so what's the third one?  Well that would be the woodland creatures (deer, mostly) foraging and looking to bulk up for the coming winter months.  And that means they're out and about now and visible more often.  Just yesterday morning I passed one on the side of the road, standing there as if patiently waiting for me to pass by before proceeding out into the roadway.  I'm sure I can't count on all of his brethren being as polite, so alertness will be key in the coming days and nights!

There's your "sights"...what about sounds and smells?

Sounds...well, I'm beginning to wonder if the new motorcycle is damaging my sense of hearing at all.  I don't blast the radio very often, and the pipes aren't that loud, so how can this be happening?  Believe it or not, I'm wondering if the new windshield design, which sends most of the passing air sliding over my shoulders and past my ears, is causing a higher-than-normal level of "white noise".  This causes me to have my radio louder than normal, but it doesn't sound louder.  However, whenever I shut the bike off, I'm finding that the radio is pretty loud.  What are the implications of all of this?  Well, the tinnitus that I've had since a young age is getting a lot louder lately.  I've gone had it for so long that I'm able to block it out most of the time, but lately I'm noticing it more and more.  I guess time will tell how this progresses and whether I decide to do anything about it.

And that takes care of "sounds".  Now, on to smells...

One of my favorite things at this time of year is cruising back roads in the chilly air and coming upon a house that has a wood stove burning.  I see the light gray smoke rising from the chimney and slowly wafting down around the yard and (hopefully) across the road.  When I see this, I know my olfactory sense is about to get a treat.  Sure enough, as I pass through the mix of smoke and air, my head is filled with the pleasant aromas of burning wood, which give rise to thoughts of gatherings around campfires and fireplaces.  Good times with good friends come to mind, and it makes me long for some of the times past, while also looking forward to great times still to come.

The weather folks are calling for a clear night tonight and a sunny day tomorrow.  I don't have any current plans until tomorrow night so I'm contemplating stretching the bike's legs on a good long ride.  I have no destination in mind - I'd contemplated heading north but with a wintry mix in that forecast, I think I'll head south, instead.  I may take off tonight and just ride until it's late, then find a place to stay.  Or, I may wait until tomorrow morning when there's daylight and the viewing will be better.  Either way, there'll be some throttle twistin' going on.

Riding season is dwindling and I want to get some more miles rolled up before the snows start arriving.

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: