Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Recall Squared

When I first bought my '14 Street Glide, there was a current recall on the hydraulic clutch system, which was fixed on my new bike before I even bought it.  Sweet!

So when I rec'd a text from a buddy of mine two weeks ago, saying there was a recall on my bike's hydraulic clutch system, I thought he just had some old info.  I even Googled it but didn't find anything specific about it, only brief mentions of the earlier one I'd already known about.

Then, when I was out in Olean this past weekend, there was more talk of it, that it was a new recall, and that there was also a recall on the front braking system - something about them locking up at high speeds.  (Well that doesn't sound good at all.)

I again tried looking up info on-line about it but wasn't able to find anything.  I figured oh well, I've got a service coming up in a while, I'll just ask about it then.

Ahh, but then on Monday, I received a recall notice in the mail.  Sure enough; it's for the exact same hydraulic clutch issue that they fixed (allegedly) the first time around.  Apparently if the bike is left sitting for an extended period of time, the clutch system will fail to contain enough force to disengage the transmission from the engine.  I guess some clutzes have had this problem and then when they clutch in and then shift into first, the bike lurches on them because the tranny is still engaged a bit.  So the bike falls over.  Dumbasses.  You always need to be ready for something when you're shifting, especially from a stop.  Have your hand on the brake and be ready to lock that bastard down if you start moving before you're supposed to.

The good news is that my bike rarely sits for extended periods of time (even during the worse winter on record), so I haven't experienced this problem yet.  I'll still have it fixed when I have the bike in for service.

Still no word on the front brake system, so I guess there's no issue there.  8-/

Ride Hard, Take Chances with your clutch...and brakes...

No comments: