Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Social Commentary!

I just posted about the stop signs and turn signals and I’m all jacked up now! I need to toss out some more of my social commentary, so brace yourself.

The weather announcer this morning was talking about how dry our April has been so far. Our precipitation for this month is down 1.1 inches below average. She was mentioning that we could be seeing some water bans go into effect soon. And that was when I almost went through the roof.

Already we’re forgetting that we had the 2nd wettest winter on record? Every body of water, for miles and miles around, is higher than I’ve seen in ages. But because we’re ONE INCH below normal for ONE MONTH, now we’re talking water bans? Please.

I believe the need for water bans has less to do with precipitation levels and more to do with infrastructure issues. Water piping systems that were installed years ago, designed to handle X amount of service needs, are now faced with exponentially-increased demand, thanks to the housing explosion. Some communities have almost half-again their population of 20 years ago. Has the infrastructure been upgraded to handle this? Nope. Hmmmm…so if all the increased demand would accelerate the demise of the system, how can we get people to cut back on usage…hey, how about a water ban! Yeah yeah, that’s a great idea! And we can blame it on lack of precipitation!

And that, my friends, is my conspiracy theory for today.

What else. I’m out for the rest of this week, gonna spend some time working at the house. I’ve got a bunch of people coming over for a party in 3 ½ weeks. I gotta get some things done so they don’t think I’ve been sitting on my ass all winter. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous – maybe 80 degrees tomorrow. Yep; I figure it’ll be a good day to spend in the basement, finishing up the framing. Bleah.

Ok, I’m done for now. I hope everyone has a great week! Talk atcha later on…

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: