Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Monday, August 23, 2010

Banana Bread Beer

Yes, it was beer-testing time once again on Friday night. I’d had a long week, coupled with a lot of late nights, so I’d purposely set Friday night aside as a ‘hang in and relax’ evening. And what better way to achieve that than to sample another one of the beers I’d picked up a while back. Tonight’s selection was a beer brewed with bananas, if you can believe it. Yeah, that’s right; bananas! And, not to be outdone by the writeup the last beer had given itself, this one also bore a label full of self-promotion;

“Long ago, ale was known as “liquid bread”. We’ve used our long history of creating the finest malt blends and added fair-trade bananas to awaken the senses with a seriously fruity, rich, yet surprisingly versatile banana bread beer. An inspired brew made with our own natural mineral water and fair-trade bananas, tempting banoffee aromas and flavors are balanced by the silky richness of a masterful malt blend and the peppery spice of the freshest, ripest hops.”

What the hell is “banoffee”?? I thought for sure they were making these words up but nope; turns out it’s an English dessert made with bananas and toffee. Sounds kinda yum, actually. But back to the beer!! I present to you, Well’s brewery Banana Bread Beer…
It even came with a lovely cap. Too bad I can’t seem to get the focus figured out. I hadn’t even had any of the beer yet!
A nice amber appeal to it, with a mild scent of bananas.

And look, I even got a rather in-focus shot this time, too!

Ok, who’s going to be the first brave soul to try this? Anyone? Anybody? Oh, right; I’m the only one here. Ok, let’s have at it. Hmmm…not too bad, actually. It only had a faint hint of the banana flavor, just enough to make it interesting. And by ‘interesting’, I mean; good enough if you’re only having one. I wouldn’t want to be drinking these banana things all night long (Stop fruitin’ the beer, Magraw!!)

And there you have it. I wouldn’t call this one a “loss” (like the last one I tried), but it wasn’t a “win”, either. So I guess that leaves me calling this one a “tie”.
.
Bananas in beer. Who thinks of these things??

No comments: