Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Coming and Going

This thing has been sitting at the corners of Maple St and Mechanic street in Bellingham for as long as I can remember. And every time I’d ride by, I’d think “I gotta remember to grab my camera one of these days and get some pics of this thing posted.” Well that day finally arrived; it was this past Saturday, I was on my way back from the Wine Nation place and Ta Da! I had my camera with me and I had some extra time to work with, so I pulled over and got to snapping. (Pictures, that is. Snapping pictures.)

At first glance, your mind realizes there’s something not quite right about what you’re looking at…
Hmmm…maybe if we looked at it from the other side? Nope, something is still amiss. Let’s look at the front end of this vehicle…
And if we go to the other end, we find we’re looking at the…front end? What the…
That’s right; it’s two front ends, welded together. Not too shabby, eh? I did some research on-line to figure out the make/model/year info and what you’re looking at are two Hudson Commodore front ends.

This is a 1949 front end…

And this is a 1950 front end...
You really have to look hard to find the seam along the top. Granted, the rusted condition helps to hide it, but it looks like they laid the top of the ’50 over the top of the ’49 and riveted them together. (You can see the line running kinda jagged across the top here.)
Judging from the remnants of white paint seen here in this pic, the seam was originally painted over. Would have been great to see how this thing looked way back when it was first created.

I tried getting the hoods open but no dice. I wonder if this thing ever ran? Imagine if you could drive in either direction? Probably not, though, as the steering would have been a mess. Fun to think about, though.

Shot of one of the side mirrors – now that’s sharp. Literally!
Here are some more shots...

Looking through the car, at the dashboard of the '50...

And from the other end, here's the dashboard of the '49...
Lastly; a name from so many years ago...
And there you go. A classic example of Americana. I'd love to know the history on this thing, but wasn't able to find anything on-line.
.
Next up; planning on checking out a different bike night on Thursday. I'll try and get a post up on Friday with some pics.
.
Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: