Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Stout!

Hey look, you guys are getting two for the price of one today. For you see; after I was done securing Snoopy, I figured a nice bit of reward was due. And what better way to reward myself than to dig into one of those stouts I bought two weekends ago.

It was a Wednesday night, so no need to dive into one of the giant bottles, just a 12-ouncer will do. Perusing the selctions, I finally settled on this one;

Avery Bottling Company; Mephistopheles' Stout

I liked the label (which often winds up meaning nothing in terms of how the beer is), and, it had some catchy verbiage on the side;

"Mephistopheles is the crafty shapeshifter, the second fallen angel, he who does not love light. Herein he patiently lies, waiting and willing to do your bidding, but for a price. Enter into his darkness, a tangled and intricate labyrinth of bittersweet rapture."
Oooh, look, it even comes with fancy red foil!

Normally, any bottle with foil on it, just has a plain cap (no design). But just in case, I always unwrap the foil instead of just popping it with a bottle opener...for you never know when you'll...hey, look! A nice cap was hidden under there!

Upon opening, the beer smelled excellent - and talk about dark! I couldn't see through the glass at all - even when I placed it up to the window to let the sunlight shine through. Now this is shaping up to be nice!!
And now for the review; No sir, I didn't like it. The taste was heavy (but not in a good way), with a strong sweet aftertaste (not in a good way), that then turned into a hint of hot pepper. Which was odd for a stout. What's up with that?
.
At least it was an Imperial stout, and had an alcohol content of 16%. (Atta boy, way to take it easy on a Wednesday night!)
.
One stout down, about a dozen left to go...

No comments: