Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Dealership Followup

We last left our zero....er...hero, in limbo at the dealership. Would he get his bike done today? Would a loaner come in that he could use? Was he doomed to turn around and go home with his bike unserviced? Let's find out how he made out...

By 10:30, no loaners had come back in so the service manager did me a huge favor and cleared a lift to get my bike worked on. Awesome! I will just kick back in the lounge area and read the book that I brought and wait.

A few hours later, I got the word that my bike was all done. Fantastic! I headed back out to the service desk, signed the necessary paperwork, and waited for my bike. I heard the service manager call out back for my 2014 Daytona Blue Pearl Street Glide, to hurry up and get it washed and brought out.

About 15 minutes later, a guy rolls out a black and blue 2008 Electra Glide. I'm looking it over and thinking how sometimes I miss my Electra Glide, when I hear the service manager say "All set, Dave!".

 I turned around and look for my bike, but didn't see it. I looked outside the service bay door, but it wasn't there either. So I turned back and ask Bob where is it? Is it coming out from around back?  He gives me a very quizzical look and points to the Electra Glide. I looked back at him and said that's not it, that's not a Daytona Blue Pearl 2014 Street Glide. :-D

He shakes his head as if to clear some cobwebs, and then heads out back to find out what is going on. He comes back and says they washed the wrong bike. Suddenly I have this fear that all this time I've been waiting, they've been working on the wrong bike!!

Thankfully no, it was my bike they had been working on, but the technician out back had grabbed and washed the wrong bike. So I had to wait while they grabbed the correct bike and then got that washed and cleaned up. And about a half hour later, I was on my way...

... and deep into the thick of Boston traffic. Heading into one of the multi-lane tunnels, I was greeted with a wall of brake lights. Fantastic, the last time I encountered this, it was a 1 mile an hour, foot down, almost hour-long trip through the tunnel and my bike nearly overheated. I wasn't going to do that again, so I immediately began splitting Lanes.

Splitting lanes is exciting enough on the open highway, but when you've got  4 Lanes of tightly compacted cars and trucks all within inches of either side of you, it really makes your  knuckles white on the grips.

Luck was with me again though, for once I had made it about halfway through the tunnel, I heard the distinctive sound of an ambulance coming up from behind me. I eased into one of the lanes of traffic and waited for the ambulance to catch me and then immediately zipped in behind it and rode its rear bumper all the way out of the tunnel and well along the highway beyond. The rest of the trip home was speedy and uneventful.

All in all, it was worth the aggravation because in the end, I got my bike serviced and was home and ready to rock and roll again all within one day.  Definitely a worthwhile trade in my book.

Ride Hard, Take Chances

No comments: