Hello? Is this thing on?

Tell me when you've started recording... What? We're live?? Damn - any chance we can start over?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Riser above it all

It’s time to move on from the fork dilemma – that’s clearly out of my hands so I decided to focus on the things which I can control. And since I’ve got a couple of mini-projects waiting to be installed, let’s move forward with those, shall we? Yes, we shall.

Risers! Last night’s project was to install the new 3” pullback risers and new riser bushings. This is a pretty simple job but for those that are interested, I took a bunch of pics and will walk through the process.

First was to remove the allen-head bolts from the dog bone…


Here’s a pic with the dog bone removed and the bar pulled out (the bar is sitting on the towel at the bottom of the pic, as all the cables and wires are still attached to it)…


The bolt that runs through the bushings (to hold the riser in place) also utilizes a pair of wide, formed washers which ‘cap’ each end of the bushing. Here, the left riser is removed and I moved the washer to the side so you can see the bushing beneath it. (Note; there are metal sleeves inside the bushing assemblies and these have to be reused with the new bushings.)


A pic of one of the new risers laid out with one of the factory risers. Nicey nice! Gonna have those bars sitting right in my lap!


At the top of this pic are the top halves of the old bushings with the metal sleeves removed. Said sleeves have been inserted (!!) into half of the new bushings (at the bottom of the pic)…


Here’s a pic of the new bushings and metal sleeve installed into the top tree. (Kinda looks like two big eyes and a nose)…


The new risers have been installed and just need a good wiping-down…


Handlebar installed and looking good! A shot from the front…


And a shot from the gas tank…

Take another look at that last photo...remind you of anything? Maybe something you saw on Sesame Street as a kid? Maybe something like......this?

Yip yip yip, uh-haw uh-haw uh-haw...

And that’s that! I’ll adjust the bar and finish-torque the bolts once the entire front end is back together. That’ll allow me to take a seat and get a feel for final setting.

Not sure what the next project will be. Gotta get the exhaust pipes wrapped and installed, but time is kinda tight this week. Plus, I need a second set of hands for that job so I’ll have to see what kind of luck I have with scaring up some help.

So until next time…

Ride Hard, Take Chances

1 comment:

Boston said...

Wow Dave, You mean business with this blog. I think you have already out posted me. One thing about this install I don't understand though... when you say wipe down the risers... I think they fit your bike better if you don't wipe them down...jk..